Formerly Manukau Festival of Arts, the Southside Arts Festival 2011 provides an exciting platform to showcase the creative excellence of artists and promote the innovation in arts that is unique to South Auckland.
Running from 14 October to 6 November, the festival is taking place at a wide variety of venues throughout the region with over 30 diverse and exciting arts events on offer including theatre, music, fashion, dance, film, sculpture, visual arts and community events. Many of the events are free and this year’s festival is looking to be bigger and better than ever!
I’m really excited to be involved in the Southside Arts Festival this year! Here are a few reasons why:
1. I am a graphic designer, I love art and have a deep appreciation for people that are creative and share their passion through their talents.
2. I live in South Auckland so a lot of these events will be in Southside, Auckland area!
3. I think it’s pretty cool that the Auckland Council are behind a festival that celebrates the diversity and talents of people in South Auckland in our community (thumbs ups!!)
4. A lot of these events will not cost you an arm or leg – you’ll be surprised that some of these are FREE! (Shot cuz!)
5. The potential to meet new people and also learn new things – the cultural diversities we have in our communities make South Auckland a very unique, vibrant and interesting place to live – it’s time we soak it up and enjoy that we have something very special living here.
6. I’ll be supporting the festival by attending the events, blogging, tweeting and sharing updates on what’s happening and what’s on offer!
Keep these 2 weeks free in your calendar 14th October – 2nd November because you don’t want to miss out this year!